Memory Work Out Sessions
- When you see a card, give your device a little “flip” , or touch the screen to see the answer
- If you don’t have the card memorized yet (i.e. it’s your first time seeing it, or it took you longer than 10 seconds to recall the answer) swipe the card down to keep working on it in this session.
- If you got the answer quickly (within 5-10 seconds) before you flipped it , swipe right to left to put the card in the stack of what you know.
- YoYoBrain takes care of the rest.
15 MINUTES PER DAY TO MASTERY – OFTEN IN 1 WEEK.
Unless you have a set with more than 400 cards, we find that 15 minutes per day can do wonders within a single week. Challenge us on this, let us know how it goes.
DETAILS ON THE WORK OUTS - WHAT A WORKOUT IS
- Our workout sessions use the way your brain works to accelerate the process of memorization.
- All of the sessions take a simple idea: learn 7 at a time – this is your “learning stack”.
- Keep going through repititions of each card until you can quickly recall the answer.
Once you know the card and mark it as one you know, it is moved out of the learning stack, and the next card in workout is moved in to the learning stack. The result is you get through the workout as fast as possible.
Tips: If you don’t know the card immediately – or within about 3 seconds, mark it as needing more repetitions. There is no penalty, and in the scheme of things, you will waste less time. The idea is to work the flashcards, not treat this as a do-or-die test. Think of a basketball player practicing free throws: the more repetitions, the better you get. If you miss a shot in practice, just shoot again.
HOW TO USE THE WORK OUT SESSIONS
- You will see the flashcard in your iphone’s landscape mode – it should look like a flashcard.
- First you see the “question” or side “A” [image place image in left column]
- Think of the answer, and then give the ipod a shake, or touch the card to flip it over.
- If the correct answer came to you in 5 seconds or less, swipe the card over to the left – that puts in the stack of learned cards for this session and marks the card as one you “know”.
- If you did not get the correct answer, or it took 10 seconds or so, swipe the card down to keep it in your learning stack so you will see it again.
- Just keep doing this until all the cards are moved over to the left to the “know it” stack.
THE TYPES OF WORKOUT SESSIONS
- “New” cards – this shows you all of the flashcards you have not yet marked as learned (learned = “you know it”)
- Auto-scheduled daily review – these are the cards that you need to review today based on our special algorithm, which in turn is based on decades of memory research. Do this every day and remembering becomes easy. As you see cards more, they are shown less and less because you need less and less work.
- Review Session/”Review Only”- this is useful when you have learned cards but have a test coming up and want some extra practice. It shows you the cards you have already marked as ones you know.
- All cards – this will take you through every flashcard whether you have learned it previously or not